When an employee is leaving your organization, give them an opportunity to reflect on his positive contributions and what he has learned / gained. In addition to the standard questions, consider adding a few more:
- What do you feel were your most significant accomplishments as < insert job title >?
- What is different and better at the company because you were here?
- What were the most satisfying aspects of your work?
- What have you learned about yourself during your time here that will be significant in your future?
If the person leads a team, add a few additional questions:
- How has your team grown or developed during your time here?
- What are you particularly proud of your team for?
- Which staff do we need to check in with most frequently while we fill your position?
- How can the new person best support your team?
Any person exiting or entering your organization can be a brand ambassador. When someone departs for their next adventure they don’t stop caring. Do everything you can to make their exit as pleasant as their entrance.